Seven Degrees from Normal

Two people, eighteen years of marriage, seven college degrees.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I am unworthy, yet egotistical

All the great knitting blogs out there have made me once again realize how deeply, deeply ashamed I should be of my feeble textile skills and my pathetic reliance on synthetic yarns. I am going to try to do better this year. I hope to once again brave Hill Country Weavers, this time with a friend, so I don't have to worry about going berserk and walking out with thousands of dollars' worth of yarn. And I'm going to learn to knit socks, to get that knitting-in-the-round monkey off my back. Circular needles and cables are but a haze on the distant horizon at this point though.

Still, since everyone else posts photos of their projects, I thought I should put one up:

This isn't knit, of course; it's crochet. So sue me. I'm proud of it because I adapted it from a relatively hideous daisy pattern in Leslie Linsley's "A Rainbow of Afghans." And I made it with some truly squirrely yarn, I think it was Carron Babysoft, which has a terribly loose twist and was a pain in the butt to work with. But it came out cute and the new parents I gave it to were pleased. Since it's worked in squares, I was able to take it on the bus sometimes. I don't do that anymore; I get into enough weird conversations as it is.

I have a couple of knit projects but the only one worthy of posting is a sweater I made for my daughter; unfortunately, in the photo I have her eyes are half closed, so she looks like a tiny Jim Anchower, so I'm not going to post them. I don't want her to have to spend her college fund on therapy. But here is a picture of her in a cloche I crocheted over Christmas vacation (it was my "keep Mommy from going insane in the snow-bound cabin" project):

This was done with Lion Brand Homespun, one of the many synthetic "fun yarns" that have come out lately. I've made a couple of things with it, but only in crochet. The sticky, thready quality of the stuff utterly defeats my knitting skills. Another good reason to go natural.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home